Monday, September 3, 2012

Music Monday #4

I'm a bit of a blog fangirl at the moment.  I love reading the blogs of friends...  the thought that goes into them, the chance to wade a little deeper into the ocean of musings, opinions and reflections... as well as the chance to share cool things like recipes, hairstyles, general interest stories about pretty much anything etc etc; as well as just to share what life has been bringing lately.

I try to keep track of a few blogs and websites about music, particularly Christian music.  Someone I discovered a little while back via blog was Audrey Assad, an American singer-songwriter.  Her music is memorable and beautiful, and her lyrics are God-glorifying and saturated with Biblical truth that I just love having floating around in my head.  Her latest album is "Heart".  Highly recommended!

One song that is resonating deeply with my heart at the moment is "O My Soul".
I am so convinced of the value of preaching the words and promises of our Father to ourselves.  Circumstances, emotions, the whispers of Satan, our idols, hardships...  so many things can start to threaten our trust in God, if we allow them.  But the God of the Bible is faithful.  He's absolutely true to his word, and we can stand by faith in his promises... none more so than the promise we have in Jesus.

So, whatever the season in which we find ourselves, remembering the Word of God, and reminding our own souls of the hope and life we have in Jesus is just so important.
The Psalmists knew this.

Why are you cast down, O my soul,
     and why are you in turmoil within me? 

Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
     my salvation and my God.  (Psalm 42:5-6a)


For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
    for my hope is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress; I shall not be shaken.  (Psalm 62:5-6)


Audrey's song, "O My Soul", is a precious illustration of preaching truth to your soul.  So, for this reason, I'm keeping the words of this song, as well as the words of my Father, tucked deep in my heart.

Your worries will never love you
They'll leave you all alone
But your God will not forsake you
O my soul.


Don't lie to yourself, O my soul...  just love your God.
 

Another reminder of all this is a fantastic worship song we've just started singing at church...  Where we declare:  We will stand as children of the Promise.  We will fix our eyes on Him, our soul's reward.  'Til the race is finished and the work is done, we'll walk by faith, and not by sight.    
 
I love Jesus.  Yet everyday I struggle to stand firm in Him alone, amidst the pull of my own pride, idols and fears.  But I'm fighting to always hold His truth before my eyes.  To really live as a child of His great promise in Jesus.  For I can have complete confidence in His promises, and that it's in His strength that I fight...  and there's nothing that is more worth fighting for.  Will you join me?

2 comments:

  1. That Audrey Assad piece is just gorgeous...... I thought from the intro that it might not have been my cup of tea, but then she started singing, and the song started taking shape and wow.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like it, Lachy! I've found that she's really grown on me the more I listen. Just amazing. Beautiful lyrics and music, and an incredible gift of a voice...

    ReplyDelete